Saturday, December 15, 2012

Letter to a friend

Thank you for your response, I do like “spirited” conversation.  I guess my original response to your “WTF”, was a little vague but I hadn’t intended this to go any further. I will explain, I hope, a little better.
I refuse to “give politics a rest” because I believe, for far too long now the average citizen has been “giving politics a rest” and because, we the people haven’t been watching our elected officials close enough, we find ourselves $16 trillion in debt and we have more states than just California on the verge of bankruptcy. All because we the people weren’t vigilant and “gave politics a rest”, taxes are high and going higher, especially in Cali. The number of welfare and food stamp recipients is high and getting higher. Unemployment is at an all time high and as you pointed out, businesses are leaving Cali. in droves.
I am continually surprised at how much the average citizen knows and/or doesn’t know about their government federal, state or local. Some can recite team stats for the last 20 yrs for their favorite football team. Some are so involved with their teams that they will beat you bloody if they think you disrespect their team. These people are still looking for the pole at their polling place or wondering if polling that goofy sport from Europe? Do not get me wrong, I’m not picking on all sports fans. I enjoy sports as a diversion too, but whether or not my favorite team wins or loses does not have as a long lasting effect on my life and family as the decisions made supposedly on ”my behalf” by the elected officials in Sacto. or DC. More not less attention needs to be paid to what they are doing and how they are doing things “in our best interest”. I really wanted a couple of million $$ to study Tattoo removal or a couple million $$ for the study of the mating habits of the Mendocino Banana slug. These things are obviously vitally important issues facing our state and nation and we can “rest” easy knowing our elected officials have our best interests at heart. The definition of Politics; poli=many, tics=blood sucking insects. I rest my case, we can’t rest.
If I can, in some small way, get somebody’s interest up about what’s going on in politics by posting or reposting something on Face Book, I will. If I either “piss them off” or support what they already think, they end up with more knowledge on the subject and they can dig further for themselves. I believe that in the times we’re in, we best be more informed as to what is going on in our name, on our behalf, by our government officials. I believe Face Book was originally meant to be a vehicle for communication whether it is about last nights Bar B Que, telling the world about Jesus, or talking about the “Knot heads” on Capital Hill, people will be talking, and that’s a good thing. Then again, thanks to FB, e-mail and texting, the art of conversation is slowly dying, but that’s for another time.
I see by your brief comment and from your previous posts that we are on opposite sides of the “aisle”, and that’s fine, I can live with that. I’m pretty certain I can blow most of your arguments out of the water but I doubt I’ll ever change your mind on any of them. I also see where we agree in general terms on some things. That’s the commonality of politics and religion. See, there is no separation of church and state. J We can agree to disagree. We can continue the discussion if you like but you are the one that wanted to "give it a rest".
Good talking with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment