Sunday, March 8, 2015

Going through it
 I was, not too long ago, sitting, thinking, contemplating, and meditating, in other words, doing nothing. So as I sat doing nothing, I started counting my blessings and unfortunately not so blessed events in my life.  As is the “nature of man” the negatives in my mind started to outnumber or “outshine” the positives. I, in time, found myself diddling my toes in the pity pool. Over the years I’ve found the natural progression of self-pity is; 1) cooling the feet and toes in the kiddies wading pity pool. When that gets comfortable 2) we go knee deep, then 3) waist deep and if not checked in time, we 4) dive in head first into the pity pond. The thing about the pity pond is the water is stagnant.  More fresh water comes in but the only exit is through evaporation and dissipation into the atmosphere doing no more good other than slowing the “global warming” process. (I joke) Don’t get me wrong, there is life in stagnant pools but the longer you tread water in a stagnant pool the more you realize that the life surrounding you is slimy moss and bottom feeding creatures basically nibbling on your toes waiting for you to sink. The pond will eventually overgrow with vegetation cutting off the sun ending the process of photosynthesis, a process of life to the life below. Wasn’t that just a happy cheery thought?
So, there I was, diddling my toes knowing if I diddled too long the process would just take over. Not wanting to go there, I started to pray. My private prayers are rarely eloquent orations as I was always taught that prayer is just conversation with my Abba Father. They are more than the conversations I have with my dad which are basically long periods of silence occasionally broken by belching and/or flatulence. I speak in tongues to Abba and speak in abdomen to my dad. What the heck, we understand each other. So I’m praying to Abba Father, basically a heartfelt cry for help and a relatively lengthy period of peace so as to gain a little rest and relaxation in order to recover and regroup. I’m well aware and firmly believe that true peace comes at the end of the story which is actually the beginning of a new and better story. So, I’m praying for peace, which by the way could be as dangerous as praying for patience, and then the phone rings.
It’s my other mother, a mentor, a sister and friend calling for my wife who is not at home at the time. Hmm, interestingly convenient!  Well, she makes the mistake of asking “how’s things goin’?”, so I unload. She’s used to me so the “unloading” doesn’t seem to phase her.  When I stop to take a breath, ready for round two, she speaks and an actual conversation starts.  We swap “war stories” with tales of woe and testimonies of victory.  I know what battles she’s been fighting as we are sharing similar battles in different geographical locales. The gist of the conversation was that, right now, we’re all “going through it” in one way or another, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, financially, or socially. Some in one or two areas, some all of the above, but regardless, we’re all going through it. Family, friends, brothers, sisters, relations and unrelated, we are all going through it. The magic phrase was “it’s all in how we deal with it as we’re going  through it”  We part ways after about 15~20 mins. and it’s then I noticed I had pulled my feet out of the pity pool. Sweet! Thanks A.A.W.


Later that day, I’m mulling over all the information gleaned from the “conveniently timed call to my wife” and I started getting several scriptures and scriptural thoughts related to the situation. We’re all going through it. How many times in life do we say “nobody knows what I’m going through” or” I’m all alone in this thing.” Does this feed a deep seated human need to stand out or be unique? Just asking.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 says,” What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun”. (NIV)That verse and the whole book of Ecclesiastes  is attributed to King Solomon and it is definitely filled with juicy nuggets pertaining to life. But the point is, just when you think you’re  the Lone Ranger and nobody knows what you’re going through or how you’re feeling, just remember, several thousand years ago someone was smart enough to realize, “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun”. It has happened, it is happening, and it’s going to happen again, to somebody somewhere. You are not alone.
1Corinthians 10:13a, says “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind”. (NIV) We may not know the particulars of your situation but the names aren’t important, what’s important is the situation is similar or the same. You are not alone in this. Someone somewhere has gone through the very thing that’s running through your mind and emotions in golf shoes.  For those times when it seems all so overwhelming, you’re not going to make it, “I can’t take it anymore”, the (b) part of 10:13 is,“ And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, H e will also provide a way out so that you can endure It”. You’re saying, nice verse but I’m not being  tempted, I’m going through it. Well yes, yes you are being tempted. You’re being tempted with anger, hatred, fear, depression, feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem and many many more. You may be tempted with giving up or giving in to any number of tormenting emotions that will do little to help you but aid to drag you to the bottom of the pity pond, where the bottom feeders dwell. The term “going though it” reminded me of one of the more famous chapters in the bible, the 23rd Psalm. The whole psalm can be a great comfort but verse 4 in particular comes to mind. “yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff comfort me”.  First off the “yea” is not “yippee”! I suppose it can and could mean yippee if you realize what going through the aforementioned valley will gain for you on the other side of said valley. The implication here is that, you will at sometime, somewhere go through the valley. The writer of this psalm was another king, David, in fact he was the father of the previously mentioned king Solomon. I suggest you read about the life and times of King David to find out what “going through it” really means.  As he went through the valley he knew God was with him so he feared no evil. Know this God is with you, fear no evil. There is a country song that says, “ When you’re going through hell, keep on going.” And a Christian cliché says “if you’re going through the valley of the shadow… don’t set up camp” Point being, “going through…” implies a non-permanent residential status.

Several years ago I was listening to a guest speaker at church and went forward when he had an altar call. It’s too long ago to remember the particulars but the basic “word” he had for me was “don’t worry, you’re still under construction”. I remember it being a great comfort at the time but many years later does it still apply? I mean, has construction stopped? It must have stopped, I’m getting pretty beat up over here. The Spirit started talking again, this time about construction.  I have been in construction in one form or another for over twenty years. What have I learned and how does it apply?  This could take a while, I’ll keep it short. 
As the Spirit showed me, the physical process of constructing a building starts with preparing the ground which involves digging, scraping chopping and cutting in order to make the land level and graded for drainage and most importantly, pouring a solid foundation.  Digging, scraping etc. can be considered, under close observation, acts of violence. To build buildings there is pounding, cutting, welding and so on and so forth. Each individual act is a serious violent act. Stay with me here, it’s not as strange as it sounds. All these acts of violence are orchestrated by a project manager. The project manager knows when to do what, who he wants to do it and how long it will take. All goes smoothly and quickly if outside influences are kept to a minimum ie. labor disputes, getting proper permits etc. How does a project manager know how to do what he does? He reads the plans/prints and knows how to apply them to the job at hand.  
So as I’m thinking on this and the word over me, ”you’re still under construction”, it comes to me. In life, we’re all under construction. There will be pounding, burning, digging, cutting, metaphorically speaking in our lives.  Who is your project manager? Who drew up your plans.  Ready for this?
God drew up your plans, Jesus is the “scale model “of how we’re supposed to end up, the Spirit is the project manager, and yes the bible is the “blue print”.(no blue prints anymore, now blueline)
We’re all under construction, we’re all going through it. In life there will be pounding, cutting and unbearable heat. Remember Ecclesiastes 1:9: You are not alone in this, someone else has gone through it and is going through it. 1Corinthians 10:13, You can get through this, there’s always a way out. Psalm23:4 God is with you in the valley. (yea!)
That being said, what can we do, oh what can we do? Glad you asked.  Let the construction begin!  James 1:2-6( I believe one of the more difficult verses to apply to life) “…Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work , that you mat be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without  doubting…” 2Peter 1:5-8  “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge, and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ”.  
Let’s face it, after about age 25, physically speaking, it’s all downhill from here.  You can slow it down and delay it but it is inevitable, the body will return to the earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. It may take 120 years but that’s the future for the physical body. It is the inner man, the spirit man that is eternal. It is the spirit man that is constantly under construction, constantly building. The physical man is under a maintenance contract. Diet and exercise, two accursed words, but true. You need to focus on both spirit and body but if you focus on spirit first, oddly enough, the body seems to fall in line. Build the spirit man up, you’re going to hang with him a whole lot longer than the physical man.
Back to my prayer for peace. Its been said that, like patience, you never want to pray for peace because you'll be thrown into situations that require the one thing you feel you need the most. As an example, if you pray for patience or peace, you get children. You get my meaning.
You have  "building project"or some emotional/mental need. First you have to remember that Jesus is the "Chief cornerstone" or foundation of the project.Ephesians 2:20 Continue to lay the foundation with. John 14:27 "Peace I leave you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." That would be the "cornerstone" talking. Then you go to Philipians 4:6-7. "Do not be anxious about anything. but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." And it's just that simple. Yeah, right! It does take time, it does take consistent work, but it does work. I especially like "the peace of God which transcends ALL understanding" This means when you're up to your A_ _ in alligators, you count it all joy(James 1:2) and continue to empty your personal swamp. All those around you will think you're crazy when you 're not being bothered by the bottom feeding reptiles and go on about your business and life, while they're uselessly beating the alligator with sticks. As I said earlier, Jesus is our "model" and He was well aware of what lay ahead for Him and yet He always appeared to be at peace. Mark 4:37-40 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern of the boat sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke Him and said to Him,"Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quite, be still!" Then the wind died down.He said to his disciples,"why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" Smackdown! His peace transcended all understanding, he was asleep during a storm that had others in fear for their lives. We  have that peace available to us John 14:27 we can have that peace during the storms of our lives, during the construction projects while we're getting hammered, cut up, chopped,sliced and diced. How? Psalm23:4 It is His intention for us to go through... It is our job to remember this and practice it daily.
So the moral of the story is talk to the project manager, pray to God  and the Spirit, in the Spirit in Jesus name.  Read the prints/plans for yourself, read your bible. It’s more than a nice book to have on your coffee table. The length of time it takes to complete the project depends on how closely you follow the plan and listen to the project manager. Don't forget, even after you think the project is done, there will always be maintenance and upgrades.
We are all a work of art. There is an Eifel tower,  Taj Majal, Great Wall or Pyramid in each of us.

Finally Philippians 1:6, “Be confident of this very thing, that he who started a good work in you will perform it until the Day of Jesus”

He started it, He’ll finish it and He ain’t done with you yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment